J. Gregory Cahill
Greg’s primary areas of practice include commercial and construction litigation, attorney malpractice and general liability defense, and insurance coverage. He represents businesses and individuals throughout Arizona, California and Nevada including in both State and Federal Court and before various administrative tribunals and regulatory agencies. Greg is a 1985 graduate, with honors, from the School of International Service and the School of Justice at the American University in Washington, D.C. and a 1989 graduate from the Sandra Day O’Conner College of Law at Arizona State University. Prior to practicing law, Greg served in the United Stated Navy.
Greg has been recognized in Best Lawyers (Construction Law – Construction Litigation), 2013-current; Best of Arizona, Ranking Arizona; The Best of Arizona Business, 2010; and Top Lawyers, AZ Business Magazine, July 2009. He is Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated and is an active member of the Construction Law Sections of the State Bar of Arizona and the Maricopa County Bar. He previously served as Section Vice-Chair of the Maricopa County Bar Construction Law Section, currently serves on the Community Service Board of the Arizona Builders Alliance and is a member of the Home Builders Association of Central Arizona.
Greg is a frequent speaker and author. He has served as a panelist at seminars and authored articles concerning issues as varied as contract formation, construction law, construction defect law, lien law, insurance coverage, alternative dispute resolution, and ethics
- Sandra Day O’Conner College of Law, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, J.D., 1989; William H. Pedrick Scholar; American Jurisprudence Award in Federal Courts and Constitutional Law
- American University, Washington, D.C., B.A., 1985; Schools of International Relations and Justice, with honors
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
Professional Recognition and Community Involvement
- State Bar of Arizona
- District of Columbia Bar
- State Bar of California
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Section Vice Chair; Section Board Member
- Arizona Builders Alliance, Community Service Board; Legislative Committee
- Home Builders Association of Central Arizona
- Represented national homebuilders in multiple mass actions involving varied construction defect claims. Examples include the defense of a 29-home action where the homeowners alleged that drainage design deficiencies led to flooding damage and a 51-home action where the homeowners alleged damage from the claimed failure to properly design and construct the homes to address site soils conditions.
- Successfully defended national homebuilder in a wrongful death action where the death occurred from a house fire alleged to result from the faulty design and construction of the home’s mechanical system.
- Successfully defended tribally chartered wastewater treatment and water supply company from million-dollar wrongful termination and non-payment claims.
- Successfully prosecuted differing site condition and non-payment claims on behalf of a commercial excavation contractor on a federal reclamation project.