Katherine M. Corcoran
Kate’s practice is solely focused on defending health care providers. She is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers (www.actl.com), which is extended only by invitation, after careful investigation, to those experienced trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility and collegiality. Membership can never be more than 1% of the total lawyer population of any state or province. Kate is the current Chair of the Arizona State Committee of the ACTL after serving as Vice Chair from 2019-2021. She was lead trial counsel in a 2019 multi-million dollar medical malpractice/wrongful death case that was recognized as a Significant Defense Verdict in Arizona Attorney Magazine, a publication of the State Bar of Arizona. She has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Medical Malpractice Law- Defendants since 2020.
To date, Kate has first-chaired dozens of trials, including trials in Yavapai, Pinal and Pima Counties, and continues to sustain a heavy trial calendar. Her jury trials have involved the defense of a hospital, an assisted living facility, dentists and physicians. A substantial portion of her practice is dedicated to defending dentists, including appearing before the Arizona Board of Dental Examiners.
Kate grew up in the suburban D.C. area, moving to Arizona to attend the University of Arizona in Tucson. She graduated with a B.A. in English and Political Science in 1996 and then went on to earn her J.D. from the University of Arizona in May 1999. Immediately after law school, Kate clerked for the Hon. Michael Cruikshank in Pima County. She then moved to Phoenix to join the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office as a Deputy County Attorney. Kate prosecuted hundreds of felonies, including numerous jury trials, in the three years she spent working for the County Attorney’s Office.
Kate left the County to begin her civil litigation practice and found her niche defending health care providers when she joined the firm in 2005. She became a partner in 2011 and was then elected to shareholder in 2015.
- The University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, J.D., 1999
- University of Arizona,B.A.,1996
- Arizona, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Court of Arizona, 2004
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America, Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants – 2020
Presentations & Publications
- CNA Dental Professional Liability Risk Management Seminars, November 2016 and May 2017.
- “Legal Trends & Topics in Implant Imaging.” American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Annual Session, October 1, 2016, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- “Implants: Trends and Topics in Dental Malpractice Litigation.” American Association of Dental Administrators, November 2, 2015, Washington, DC.
- “Implants and Cone Beams: Trends and Topics in Dental Malpractice Litigation.” Vatech 3D Symposium, October 9, 2015, Hoboken, NJ.
- “Implant Complications: Legal Considerations & Preventative Strategies.” Western Regional Dental Convention, March 21, 2015, Phoenix, AZ.