Katherine M. Corcoran
Kate joined Broening Oberg Woods & Wilson as of counsel in 2005, became a partner in 2011 and was then elected to shareholder in 2015. Kate’s practice focuses on the defense of all types of health care practitioners including long term care facilities. A substantial portion of her practice is dedicated to defending dentists.
Kate grew up in the suburban D.C. area, moving to Arizona to attend the University of Arizona in Tucson. She graduated with a B.A. in English and Political Science in 1996 and then went on to earn her J.D. from the University of Arizona in May 1999.
Immediately after law school, Kate clerked for the Hon. Michael Cruikshank in Pima County. She then moved to Phoenix to join the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office as a Deputy County Attorney. Kate prosecuted hundreds of felonies, including numerous jury trials, in the three years she spent working for the County Attorney’s Office.
Kate left the County to begin her civil litigation practice and found her niche defending health care providers when she joined the firm in 2005. To date, Kate has first-chaired 13 civil litigation trials, including trials in Pinal and Pima Counties, and continues to sustain a heavy trial calendar. Her jury trials involved the defense of a hospital, an assisted living facility, dentists and physicians. Kate also represents health care providers at most of the licensing boards in Arizona, including the Arizona Board of Dental Examiners and the Arizona Board of Medical Examiners.
- The University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, J.D., 1999
- University of Arizona,B.A.,1996
- Arizona, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Court of Arizona, 2004
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Presentations & Publications
- CNA Dental Professional Liability Risk Management Seminars, November 2016 and May 2017.
- “Legal Trends & Topics in Implant Imaging.” American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Annual Session, October 1, 2016, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- “Implants: Trends and Topics in Dental Malpractice Litigation.” American Association of Dental Administrators, November 2, 2015, Washington, DC.
- “Implants and Cone Beams: Trends and Topics in Dental Malpractice Litigation.” Vatech 3D Symposium, October 9, 2015, Hoboken, NJ.
- “Implant Complications: Legal Considerations & Preventative Strategies.” Western Regional Dental Convention, March 21, 2015, Phoenix, AZ.